Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Port of Miami - Where to Park, Where to Stay, What to Know

The Port of Miami, undoubtedly one of the most trafficked ports in the world, is the number one port of call for cruise passengers in the United States. On my first visit to the port I was appalled at the $20/day parking rate, although convenient it is very expensive. Considering most of us here in 2009 are on a budget, adding an extra $100-$140 for parking to your trip budget can really put a damper on things. On my second trip to the Port I played it smart, and what I have learned is outlined below, I hope it helps you save money on your trip!















If you plan on staying in Miami the night before your trip you may be upset to find that almost all of the hotels in Miami and South Beach require you to pay for parking. Furthermore, you cannot leave your car on site while you travel and there are only a select few that offer shuttle services to the terminal. As I prepared for travel I weighed many scenarios on where to stay and how to park that would save me the most money.

I eventually found an Extended Stay in Miami, right off 95 and close to central downtown. Parking was free and they had a shuttle service for $7 per person. Although they never gave me the go ahead to park there during the duration of my cruise I had a feeling they wouldn't know, and I was right. Not only was I able to secure free parking and a cheap shuttle, I Priceline'd my hotel (How to Negotiate on Priceline) and was able to get a room rate of $50/night.
Extended Stay Miami














The shuttle provided by the hotel must be booked the night prior to your departure so make sure you ask the front desk. Also, they only take you to the port, they do not pick you up. I got around this by taking a taxi back, and to my surprise it was only $13 for the return trip.

So, if you plan on making the trip to the Port of Miami and are seeking free parking, a shuttle and a nice yet low cost place to stay remember:
*Extended Stay Miami - $50/night on Priceline (Name Your Own Price)
*Shuttle from Extended Stay - $7 per person
*Taxi back - $13

Interested in saving more money by getting your own alcohol on board? A new post on smuggling alcohol coming soon!


Brandon & Jenny - Caribbean experts on information you SHOULD know but nobody tells you! www.tips-fb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment